Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Coupon Adventure...Total Savings $31.85


SAVINGS AWARENESS: I am becoming aware of costs!!!! This is profound for me! I always thought that was for the stay-at-home mom part of life, yet I am now realizing that there is great value saving money at all times and that money saved can be used many other places. I also thought that coupons and savings were only for packaged and unhealthy items. I am here to tell you that I am still learning, but there are savings out there on healthy items if you know where to look. I also thought that it wasn't worth my time to look for money savings if I was working full time, but I am now able to look for these savings with my new job relieving some stress in my life.

My coupon adventure wasn't a TOTAL bust, but I thought it would be when I got to the checkout and found out THEY DON'T TAKE INTERNET COUPONS!!! I had asked all other questions...Do you double coupons? When it says 2/$5.00, can I buy one for $2.50 or do I have to buy two? But, I didn't dream that they wouldn't take internet coupons. They don't. So, my next endeavor (which I had been thinking about anyway...get the Sunday paper).


Double coupons - Albertons says they do double coupons, but only sometimes and they don't know when. There may be a trick to this that the entire store is unaware, but I am not sure. All of the employees I spoke with said, yes, today they are ringing up double. This did not affect me though b/c my coupons were all internet ones.

Albertsons had a GREAT sale....LAST WEEK (one week off means a lot of missed savings). It actually ended yesterday and I was out of town until today. So, proper planning....Anyway, their great sale was a LOT of half off items. This would have been a great chance to stock up on these items. Long story short, I ended up getting chicken at buy one get one (which accounted for $9.64) of that savings after speaking with the store manager....we are now "tight."

Also, another $9.51 of that savings was from making friends with a boy who was stocking the shelves in one of the aisles and was trying to help me find parchment paper. He finally found 3 rolls for me and since there was no price and he liked me after being so NICE to him today...he gave me these $4.36 rolls for $1.19. Now, I do now realize I will have to bake the rest of my life to use all of this parchment paper. OR, I can give it to my baking friends, knowing that I saved them approx $5!

Shawna of styleberryHOME led me to Operation NICE...in case you're interested at all in my comments and belief that being NICE gets you somewhere as well as affecting others' lives.

COMMISARY: Now, I am a military wife and I usually go to the commisary. I will continue to blog about coupons and savings as I learn about this topic. I am feeling that with double coupons, great deal savings on a weekly basis and being a thrifty shopper that I can save more money than the tax savings I get a the commisary. I will let you know when I find out! I know that for the same amount of groceries, I used to save at least $15 by going to the commisary vs Walmart when we lived in Columbus, Ms.

9 comments:

shawna [of styleberryBLOG] October 22, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

it works! And wanna sell me your parchment?!? SHEESH! Bake the rest of your life...I go through one a month! I need you to explain double coupons cause i dont know exactly what that means, assuming it's not the obvious.

Tori October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

Yes I will definitely give you my parchment paper if you want it. When you come to visit you can take 2 rolls home with you :) Also, yes it is probably the obvious. A few grocers "double" coupons which is AMAZING! And, probably the only way to do it! Because you'll have an item on sale from 2.50 down to 1.50 in the store and you'll have a .50 coupon that is DOUBLED so it's only 50 cents in the end. You can even get things for free with these double coupons!!1 That's what I am searching for and I will continue to update you on what I find!

Tori October 23, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Also, some retailers take expired coupons also....will be updating on this also.

Anne October 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM  

YAY for coupons!! Living in Columbus, coupons from the sunday paper were few and far between! So we enlisted in Andy's dad to mail us coupons from the Dallas sunday paper! So every week we get a gigantic envelope in the mail from him. We should start swapping coupons that we don't use!

Tori October 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

I'm so jealous of your coupon envelope!!! We will definitely have to do that. I'll tell you what I learn about this area before you get here and you'll have to add to that knowledge and help me out also!

shawna [of styleberryBLOG] November 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM  

You've been tagged! Visit www.styleberryhome.com for details!

jody0124 December 11, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Hey Tori,

Parchment paper is also great for crafting. It makes a nice work surface, protects your counter or table, etc.

* *
. >
\__/

WeeOne04 December 12, 2008 at 3:53 AM  

And if you have expired coupons, I think there's a way you can have them sent overseas (like, say, to me in Japan =o). I never asked back at the commissaries in the states - but here, the coupons are good for at least 6 months after the expo date.
~Sara M

Tori December 22, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

Ok so I checked to see if the Commissary will take expired coupons. They do overseas but they do not in the states...BUT if you go to self-service check out, you can use the expired coupons. They were taken with no problems - I always check myself out so I plan to use the coupons that I have.

Followers

FITori

FITori

About This Blog

I am Tori (FITori) and welcome to my blog!!!

I created this blog from the encouragement of my best friend who pushed me to start a blog about my passion, which I am always talking about! It started as a way to inspire others the way I have been inspired and to share what inspires me. I also want to share with you what I have learned through my years of research on health and fitness.

For me, this blog is a great place for me to document my fitness journey. I decided to compete this year, but have transferred that goal to next year so that I can bulk and compete in Figure. This blog is my accountability and hopefully I can get some advice and tips along the way. I am hoping that I can learn from you all also as I post what I am learning along the way. If I am wrong or there is advice for me, I want it! I want your theories. What are you doing differently?

I'm also looking for accountability to keep this up and inspiration from you all. I read your blogs and get inspired and knowing you're reading mine keeps me going!

Thank you for your support!!! Let me know if you have any special requests for blog posts!

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP