Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Priorities

I have been thinking a while about priorities. I feel like some days there isn't any time to relax, unwind and recover so that I can start all over the next day and do it again. I was trying to decide what to give up! I had a few choices:

  • Work - NO!
  • Masters - Maybe, but I really don't want to be a quitter
  • Workouts - Maybe, but I feel horrible when I put that off b/c I'm too busy
  • Diet - Same as workouts
  • Housework -Maybe, but I can't live and work in a home that is filthy!
I don't want to be a quitter. I want to finish what I started w/ my fitness goals of competing next year as well as my masters. They are both goals that I have started and want to finish...and not too late either because I want to finish my masters and complete my first competition before we have children. The masters is what I was thinking of giving up to pursue my fitness goals, but I just can't stand the thought of starting something and not finishing it. So, then I realized....it's not all black and white!
  • I don't have to work 60 hours a week. In fact, they'd probably rather I not!!! It's hard though b/c I really love what I do and want to keep it up and get ahead of my work rather than be behind
  • I don't have to get a 4.0 GPA on my Masters Program (though I have that now and that's a hard one to let go)
I can find a balance with it all I think if I give up my perfectionism to do everything perfectly! I want a Masters and I'd love to put a 4.0 GPA on there also, but realistically, does that matter? Does it matter if I'm fat and unhappy in the process?

I'm learning to let some things go and try to find more of a balance so that I can "have it all" without having to give anything up at this point in my life. Any advice would be great!!!

Also, I have to say that working w/ Erik (Lean Bodies Consulting) really has freed up my time. My workouts are 30-45 minutes each, some days 2 a day, but not bad! And, my meals are so planned that it's easy. I'm sure it'll only get easier to plan my meals the more I get used to these measurements and how much to cook on the weekends to be prepared. Sticking to the plan is the hard part, but being on a plan does allow some brain power to go to other things. There's nothing to think about except what time the next meal is and whether it's already cooked!

2 comments:

Anne April 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

I've said it so many times before and I'll say it again - your hard work & dedication on a daily basis are truly inspirational! I am a perfectionist too and hate to quit things I've started. But some days I can only 'give' so much. Keep doing what you're doing and try not to stress too much. You can only do so much before it becomes "un" enjoyable.

Becca April 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Ah, the all-too-familiar crossroads of true happiness and perfection...I hate this intersection.
Sounds like you have done some serious thinking. I am glad that having a meticulously detailed plan works for you...and glad someone else is doing it for you. I found that when I had to do this, other things fell by the wayside and I was unhappy with upkeep of 'normal' life things that I had neglected.

Let us know what you decide to pull back on and how it goes....
best of luck.

Followers

FITori

FITori

About This Blog

I am Tori (FITori) and welcome to my blog!!!

I created this blog from the encouragement of my best friend who pushed me to start a blog about my passion, which I am always talking about! It started as a way to inspire others the way I have been inspired and to share what inspires me. I also want to share with you what I have learned through my years of research on health and fitness.

For me, this blog is a great place for me to document my fitness journey. I decided to compete this year, but have transferred that goal to next year so that I can bulk and compete in Figure. This blog is my accountability and hopefully I can get some advice and tips along the way. I am hoping that I can learn from you all also as I post what I am learning along the way. If I am wrong or there is advice for me, I want it! I want your theories. What are you doing differently?

I'm also looking for accountability to keep this up and inspiration from you all. I read your blogs and get inspired and knowing you're reading mine keeps me going!

Thank you for your support!!! Let me know if you have any special requests for blog posts!

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

      © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Back to TOP